Beans & Rice #2
- 2 cups dried pinto beans
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tsp dried Italian herb seasoning mix (or 1/2 tsp EACH dried basil leaves, dried oregano leaves, and dried thyme leaves)
- 1 tsp crushed dried hot red chilies
- 1 large - 1/2 lbs onion, chopped
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup apricoTbsp jam
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Thinly sliced green onions, including tops
Sort beans for debris. Rinse beans and put in a 4- to 5-quart pan; cover with water. Bring to a boil on high heat.
Remove from heat, cover,and let stand 1 hour or up to 1 day drain. To beans, add 2 cups water, garlic, Italian seasoning, chilies, and chopped onion. Bring to a boil over high heat; cover and simmer until beans are tender to bite, about 1 1/2 hours. Stir occasionally.
After 1 hour, mix jam into beans. If cooked beans are soupier than you like, boil uncovered, stirring often, until they reach the consistency you want. Pour beans onto 1 side of a rimmed platter; mound rice opposite and sprinkle both with sliced green onions.
Add salt to taste.Servings: 5
Source: Nanette Blanchard
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Date: Mar 22, 1994
Print This Page