Bajan Black Beans and Rice
- 1 Tbsp Better Than Bouillon Vegetarian
- 3 cups water
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 habanero pepper, minced
- 4 tomatoes (from a can of whole tomatoes), chopped
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 3 zucchini, chopped
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
Heat 3 cups of water and mix in bouillon. Set aside. Note: any broth may be used, I just happen to like Better Than Bouillon especially.
Sauté garlic, onion, and red, green, and habanero peppers in 1/2 cup of broth in large pot for 10 minutes. Add remaining broth, tomatoes, and rice and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
Add zucchini and simmer for an additional 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to keep from sticking. Add black beans, corn, and cilantro and cook an additional 5 minutes to heat through.
Source: Michelle Dick
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Date: Dec 21, 1997
Print This Page