Brazilian Black Beans
- 1 lb black beans, soaked at least 4 hours preferably overnight
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed or more if you like
- 2 tbs cumin
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1-2 cups diced tomatoes, optional
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, optional
- salt and pepper and cayenne pepper to taste.
Place beans in large pot with water to cover and bring to a boil, cover and simmer about an hour (add more water if it seems to be getting low).
Add all the veggies. Cover and simmer another half hour or until beans and veggies are tender. Add orange juice and cilantro and simmer a bit more. Add salt and peppers to taste.
Serve with dollops of ff sour cream or roll up in a tortilla with salsa and lettuce.Servings:
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Date: May 6, 1999
Print This Page