Cuban Black Beans and Rice
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup seeded and chopped bell pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 cups cooked black beans (or canned)( I used the canned) (Drained and rinsed, if you use the canned)
- 1 cup vegetable broth (I used a can of Swanson veggie broth)
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
(I also added a cup of chopped fresh mushrooms to the recipe)
Use a large, covered cooking pot. Saut=E9 the onion, garlic, and green pepper in some of the vegetable broth until tender. Add the tomatoes, black beans, and vegetable broth (and mushrooms, if you use them).
Let simmer for approximately 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until heated through. Add rice and water, cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally.
In about 15 to 20 minutes the rice will be tender and it's ready to be served. Add salt and pepper now or at the table.
It could use something (chili powder or sauce) to liven it up. It was really quite good; but next time I'll toss in a Tbsp of chili powder.Servings:
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Date: Aug 3, 1998
Print This Page