Spicy Black Beans Plum
- 4 whole plum
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth or liquid for sautéeing
- 1 large white onions
- 1 large yellow pepper -- cored and diced
- 1 large red pepper -- cored and diced
- 2 whole garlic clove -- crushed
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 tsps ground cumin
- 1 tsp oregano -- crumbled
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup cilantro -- minced
- 2 tsps fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 cups cooked black beans -- drained and rinsed
- to taste salt
- 3 cups brown rice, cooked.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the plums and boil for 1 minute to loosen the skin. Remove the plums with a slotted spoon and set them aside to cool. Place the sauteeing liquid in a large skillet. Add the onion, red and yellow peppers, garlic, cloves, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, and cilantro.
Sauté over medium heat, stirring often, until the onion is soft and translucent, about 7 minutes.
Peel the plums, remove the pits, and coarsely chop the pulp. Stir the lemon juice, honey, and plum pulp into the onion mixture. Add the beans, stir, and cover. Turn the heat down to low and continue to cook until the peppers are soft, stirring often to prevent sticking, about 30 minutes.
Season with salt and serve warm over rice if desired at room temperature or well chilled.Servings:
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Date: Jul 13, 1999
Print This Page