Spicy Black Beans & Rice
- 1 medium onion -- chopped
- 4 cloves garlic -- minced
- 2 Tbsp red cooking wine or other sauté liquid
- 15 oz black beans, canned -- rinsed and drained
- 14 1/2 oz Mexican tomatoes, canned, stewed
- 1/4 tsp red pepper -- ground
- 2 cups rice, cooked -- hot
- 1/4 cup onion -- chopped.
In a medium saucepan cook 1/2 cup onion and garlic in hot wine till tender but not brown. Carefully stir in the drained beans, undrained tomatoes, and ground red pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
To serve, mound rice on individual plates; make a well in the centers. Spoon black bean mixture into centers. If desired, sprinkle with chopped onion. (Original recipe used oil rather than red cooking wine.)
NOTES : Instead of rice, spoon the warm black bean mixture over squares of freshly baked corn bread.Servings:
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Date: Mar 21, 1999
Print This Page