Stove-Top Beef Burgundy
- 1 1/2 lbs top sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp butter, divided use
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 cups peeled baby carrots
- 1 1/2 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme or 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 cups beef broth
Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Melt 1 Tbsp butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add beef and sauté until brown on all sides, about 3 minutes. Transfer beef to plate.
Melt remaining 1 Tbsp butter in same pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onions. Sauté until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
Return beef and any accumulated juices, carrots, thyme, wine and broth to pan; bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes, or until meat and carrots are tender.
Remove cover; increase heat and boil until broth is slightly thickened. Season stew to taste with salt and pepper.Servings: 4 to 6
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page