Poached Beef Tenderloin with Steamed Vegetables
- 1 (2 lbs) beef tenderloin roast
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 cups water
- 1 (10.5 oz.) can condensed beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp crushed dried marjoram
- 4 black peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- 12 oz. baby carrots, peeled
- 4 medium new potatoes, quartered
- 12 Brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
Tie beef tenderloin roast with heavy string at 2-inch intervals.
In a Dutch oven or heavy stockpot, brown roast in oil over medium-high heat until all sides are browned. Pour off drippings.
Add water, broth, wine, garlic, marjoram, peppercorns and cloves. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 10 minutes per pound. Temperature should register 130° F. Do not overcook. Remove roast to serving platter. Cover tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and let stand 10 minutes before carving.
Meanwhile, place carrots and potatoes in a steamer over 1 to 2-inches of boiling water. Cover and cook 6 minutes. Add Brussels sprouts; cover and continue cooking 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Combine butter, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Toss with steamed vegetables.
Remove string from roast and carve into thin slices. Serve with vegetables.Servings: 8
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page