Asparagus and Cheese Casserole
- 1 (10 to 12 oz) package frozen asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces, cooked in 1/4 cup hot water with 1/2 tsp salt just until tender, 7 to 8 minutes
- 2 cups soft white bread crumbs
- 1/4 lbs coarse shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp pimento, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried basil, crushed
- 1/4 tsp onion salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp monosodium glutamate
- 1 (12 oz) can MILNOT combined with 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 well-beaten egg yolks
- 3 egg whites, beaten stiff
In large bowl blend drained asparagus, bread crumbs, shredded cheese, pimento and seasonings.
Heat MILNOT and butter, and add to beaten yolks. Blend well with vegetable mixture.
Fold in beaten egg whites. Bake in well-buttered casserole placed in pan of hot water at 375° F about 40 to 50 minutes, or until blade of knife comes out clean.
Garnish top with flowers made of extra cooked asparagus tips with pimento centers.Servings: 6 to 8
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page