Bean and Rice Casserole
- 2 cup uncooked rice
- 1 med. onion, chopped
- 1 can - 15 1/4 - 19 oz. red kidney beans, drained and rinsed or equivalent dried, cooked
- 1 can - 15-16 oz. black beans, or equivalent dried, cooked
- 1 can - 15-19 oz. garbanzo beans, or equivalent dried, cooked
- 1 can - 14 1/2 - 16 oz. canned, stewed tomatoes, drained*
- 1 can - 4 oz. chopped mild chiles, drained
- 10 oz. frozen green peas, thawed by placing under running water
- 1 cup frozen corn
Preheat oven to 375° F.
In a 5-qt dutch oven over medium high heat, "sauté" onion in liquid of your choice (balsamic vinegar gets my vote) 'til tender, stirring occasionally. Add rice, cook while stirring until parched and opaque.
Add beans, tomatoes, chiles and 3 1/2 cups of water to rice and onion in dutch oven and bring mixture to boil.
Cover tightly place in oven, baking until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed (around 1 hour for brown rice).
Add peas and corn, adjust seasonings, and return to oven until heated through.
Additional notes: **If using no-salt-added tomatoes, reserve the drained liquid and add water to equal the 3 1/2 cups of liquid. **I add Tabasco sauce to make it a bit spicy.Servings:
Source: Michele Faison
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Date: Jan 24, 1994
Print This Page