Chili Bean Casserole
- 1 cup raw rice
- 1 cup no fat plain yogurt
- 1-2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (see note)
- 1/4 cup tomatillo (green) taco sauce
- 1 onion, sliced
- several/many cloves of garlic, minced
- a splash of white wine
- 2 cups frozen or canned corn thawed/drained
- 1 4oz can of sliced black olives, drained
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 (approx 14 oz. can of chili spiced beans (see note)
- 1 ripe tomato, seeded and chopped
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Put rice on to cook. Mix yogurt with cilantro and taco sauce. set aside. "Saut&eacut;" onions and garlic in wine till soft.
In a casserole dish spritzed with PAM layer: corn, cooked rice, olives, zucchini, onion/garlic. Pour beans over all. Cover and cook in 350° F oven for 30 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
Sprinkle tomatoes over top and drizzle with yogurt mixture. Serve.
Notes: Buy fresh cilantro, wash, dry completely, chop and freeze spread out on a piece of wax paper. Store in a zip lock baggie and then you can have fresh cilantro anytime.
I bought the grocery store brand of "Mexican style chili beans." They have little/no fat in them.
Variations: scallions: shredded lettuce on top with tomato, mushrooms sautéed with onions, etc.Servings:
Source: Katherine Albitz
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Date: Feb 10, 1995
Print This Page