Beer And Cheese Potato Chowder
- 2 lbs (6 med) russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 med onion, chopped
- 1 med stalk celery, chopped
- 1 med carrot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 - 14 oz. can chicken broth
- 1 - 12 oz. can or bottle beer
- 8 oz. (2 cups) shredded Cheddar and American cheese blend
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Rye bread, cut into cubes, toasted if desired
In 3 to 4-quart slow cooker, combine potatoes, onion, celery, carrot, garlic, and pepper; stir gently to mix. Pour broth and beer over vegetables.
Cover; cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours.
About 10 minutes before serving, coarsely mash vegetables with potato masher or fork. Add cheese and whipping cream; stir until cheese is melted. Cover; cook an additional 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Top with croutons.
To make croutons, arrange a single layer of cubed rye bread on a cookie sheet. Toast in the oven at 350'F for 15 to 25 minutes, or until the croutons are golden and dry.Servings: 6 to 8
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page