Baja Pizza Pouches (Calzones) With Wisconsin Cheese
- 1 lbs bulk hot pork sausage
- 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 - 12 oz. can refried beans
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 - 16 oz. package hot roll mix
- 1 - 14 1/2 oz. can crushed Italian flavored tomatoes
- 2 cups - 8 oz. shredded Wisconsin Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup - 4 oz. shredded Wisconsin Cheddar cheese
- Butter, melted
- 1 cup guacamole, if desired
In a fry pan or skillet, brown pork sausage and ground beef. Drain any fat. Add beans, cumin and garlic powder. Heat through.
Meanwhile, prepare hot roll mix according to package directions for pizza crust.
Divide dough into eight pieces. Form each piece into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll each ball into a 7 to 8 inch circle.
Place dough circles on 2 oiled baking sheets. Place 1/2 cup meat mixture on half the dough circle, to within 1/2 inch of edge. Spoon 2 Tbsp crushed tomato over meat mixture. Top each calzone with 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese and 2 Tbsp shredded Cheddar cheese. Moisten edges of dough with water and fold circles in half. Press edges firmly together with a fork. Brush with melted butter.
Bake at 400° F for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with a side of guacamole.Servings: 8
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page