Genuine Chow Chow
- 2 quarts - (1/4 peck) green beans
- 1 large head cauliflower, separated into flowerets
- 3 cups shelled fresh lima beans
- 3 cups fresh whole kernel corn
- 1 quart onions, chopped
- 5 green peppers, chopped
- 2 quarts - (1/4 peck) green tomatoes, chopped
- 3 quarts cider vinegar
- 4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 Tbsp celery seed
- 2 Tbsp yellow mustard seed
- 1 Tbsp turmeric
- 2 Tbsp dry mustard
Cut beans into 1/2-inch pieces. Cook beans, cauliflower, lima beans and corn separately in boiling water until just tender. Drain.
Mix the onions, peppers and tomatoes with the cooked vegetables in a large kettle.
Bring the vinegar to a boil in a separate pan and stir in a mixture of the sugar, salt, celery seed, mustard seed, turmeric and dry mustard.
Pour vinegar over vegetables, bring to a boil and cook 20 to 25 minutes, or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally.
Pour into heated jars and seal.Servings: 12 pints
Source: Sue A.
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Date: Jan 30, 1998
Print This Page