- 5 cups Romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup shredded red or green Chinese cabbage
- handful of arugula
- handful of mung bean sprouts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup carrots, julienned into matchsticks
- 1 small yellow pepper, julienned into matchsticks
- 3-inch piece of cucumber, cut into spears
- several thin slices of red onion
- 2 Tbsp slivered sundried tomatoes (optional)
- 2 - 3 sheets toasted nori, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup snow peas, steamed
- 1 cup wild rice, cooked in broth
- 1 cup dried shiitake mushrooms (or 6 large fresh shiitake, sliced thinly, stems discarded)
- 4 Tbsp broth, thickened with a little with nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 medium garlic clove, pressed
- 1 Tbsp umeboshi plum paste
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium tamari
- dash of vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 Tbsp powdered ginger
- dash of cayenne
- 2 Tbsp sweetener of your choice (optional)
Place all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until blended.
Soak the dried shiitake mushrooms in boiling water (enough to cover) for 10 - 15 minutes, then drain. Squeeze the mushrooms a little to remove the excess water, and then strain the reserved soaking liquid through a cloth to remove the 'sand'.
Sauté the mushrooms in broth for two minutes, stirring and adding a bit of the reserved soaking liquid to prevent scorching.
Place the greens and raw veggies in a bowl, drizzle about 2/3 of the dressing on top, and toss to blend. Add the additions and shiitake, and toss well again. Survey the damage, and add additional dressing (if required).
Plate the salad, serving the shiitake atop each portion.Servings: 2
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Date: Sep 10, 1997
Print This Page