Sheila's Backyard BBQ Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 md Onion, peeled and slivered
- 4 Whole cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 1 28 oz. can Peeled plum tomatoes, crushed w/juice
- 1 1/2 cup Ketchup
- 1 cup Fresh orange juice
- 6 Tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- 6 Tbsp Red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 1/4 cup (packed) dark-brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp Crystalized ginger, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Dark molasses
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp Tabasco, or more to taste
- 2 Tbsp Chili powder
- 1 Tbsp Ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp Dry mustard
- 1 tsp Salt, or more to taste
SEE NOTE NOTE: Inspired by sauce at Sonny Bryan's BBQ, as mixed by Charlie Riddle.
Place the oil in a medium-sized heavy pot. Add the onion and cook for 5 to 7 minutes over medium heat until goldern brown. Stir in the garlic during the last minute.
Add all of the remaining ingredients to the pot and combine well.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to very low and cook, stirring often, for 45 minutes to an hour, or until the sauce thickens and has a smooth texture.
Remove the onion and garlic with a slotted spoon; discard. Adjust seasonings to taste. If the sauce is too thick, add a small amount of water. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate in covered containers for up to two weeks.Yields:
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page