Au Gratin Potatoes
- About 4 large Idaho potatoes, peeled, sliced thin
- 1 or 2 onions, sliced thin
- 4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 to 2 Tbsp flour
- About 2 cup milk
- 3/4 to 1 cup cheese (more or less) sharp cheddar
- bread crumbs, plain or mixed with parmesan cheese
Layer the above in a buttered dish. Sprinkle salt and fresh ground black pepper between the layers.
Melt butter, add flour to make a loose paste. Don't let it brown. Add milk and mix together with a whisk until it gets thick. Add some salt and pepper. Add cheese. Pour sauce between the layers.
You can add more cheese between the layers too. Top with cheese and a thin layer of plain bread crumbs. Bake in a 400° F oven for 1 1/2 hours.Servings: 4
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page