Beef & Stout Stew with Chocolatier Sauce
- 2 lbs beef eye of round, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp plus additional canola oil - divided use
- 3 medium yellow onions, sliced into 1/2-inch strips
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 8 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 - 14.5 oz. cans bottle stout-style beer (such as Guiness)
- 1 Tbsp raisins
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 oz. NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® CHOCOLATIER 62% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar, chopped
Place beef cubes and flour in a large, resealable plastic bag. Shake to coat all pieces.
Heat 1 Tbsp oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add some of the beef cubes and brown on all sides. Remove browned beef and place in large bowl. Continue browning remaining beef cubes with remaining oil. Some additional oil may be needed. Remove all beef cubes from saucepan.
Reduce heat to medium. Add onions to saucepan, adding some additional oil if necessary. Cook about 3 to 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook another minute or release the aroma of the garlic (do not allow garlic to color). Add beef cubes, carrots, broth, beer, raisins, tomato paste, caraway seed, bay leaf and thyme to saucepan; stir well.
Cook uncovered, over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until beef is tender. Remove from heat; discard bay leaf and thyme sprigs. Sprinkle chocolate over stew; stir to combine (the chocolate becomes part of the sauce).
Serve immediately with a warm, hearty bread, if desired.Servings: 4 to 6
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page